vendredi 17 août 2012

FIT

...it stands for Fashion Institute of Technology. Many years ago I was an adjunct assistant professor, thinking to go towards an academic career.One day I got a last minute offer to teach at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York. The person who taught the course didn't show up on time and they had no news from her. Of course I was  thrilled and I  started preparing my course immediately. Unfortunately, the evening before my first teaching class the Chair of the department called. She was sorry to inform me that the person showed up and will start teaching the course the next day. They had a strong Union at FIT and the Chair didn't dare oppose it, even if she recognized that it not was fair to me.
 
And so my life took another turn. I found out later that I didn't really like to teach, at least not Freshmen, and probably what I did later suited me better. I cannot avoid, however, having a very slight regret for not being able to work in an area I like so much.

Here are some outfits exposed at the wonderful FIT Museum, from 1960s and 2000s.



                                                                Christian Lacroix 2004

                                                                        Courreges 1961



                                                                       Dior 1963


                                                                Dries Van Noten 2004




Mila Schon 1968

Noritaka Tatehana 2010




                                                                   Rodarte 2008






                                                                 Yohji Yamamoto 2000






Yves Saint Laurent 1968

Source: The Museum at FIT

6 commentaires:

  1. Wonderful pictures! Is the FIT museum open to the public? Is it located in Paris? It's definitely a place I'd love to visit!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Yes it is open and is in New York not Paris.

    Nora

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Amazing post, would definitely have to visit when next I'm in NY! Thanks for sharing!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Thank you for answering so fast! Too bad - New york is so far away! Paris is just a 1,5 hours flight.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Oh wow..you had taught in FIT? Awesome. I have a lot of friend attend FIT in nyc too. Love those vintage designer outfit..amazing:)

    EDGYMIX-Travel for Fashion”

    RépondreSupprimer

I'll enjoy reading your comments.