mardi 30 octobre 2012

Les Yeux d'Elsa

One of the reasons I like France is that culture permeates everything. In the most unexpected situations you can find a reference to literature, or painting, or music. Rarely I found this in other societies. And the French take this naturally and many of them, not all naturally, but many know what about it is. They love their great culture and are proud of it. Every evening I watch a show named "Questions pour un champion" were people of all trades compete on cultural questions. It is similar to the American Jeopardy but there is less money at stake and it is, how to say, more pleasant, there is a lot of humour involved. Among the competitors there are  cooks, drivers, teachers physicians..every kind of profession. It is nice and fun to see  so many different people with cultural interests.

I write about this because of Lanvin's new collection of jewelry named Les yeux d'Elsa (Elsa's eyes).
This is the title of a poetry book written by the great poet Louis Aragon. Elsa Triolet was his wife and his muse. She was Russian and he wrote for her the most beautiful verses.



Les yeux d'Elsa

Tes yeux sont si profonds qu'en me penchant pour boire

J'ai vu tous les soleils y venir se mirer

S'y jeter à mourir tous les désespérés

Tes yeux sont si profonds que j'y perds la mémoire



Elsa Your Eyes
 your eyes so deep I stoop to drink I’ve seen

 all the bright suns assemble here to preen

 seen the despairing all plunge in to die

 your eyes so deep I lose my memory

 (translation by Timothy Ades)






3 commentaires:

  1. Le Salon sous la vigne31 octobre 2012 à 00:43

    un peu angoissant cet oeil

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I'd love to come to France!! It's on my list of places I have to visit. I nominated you for the Liebster Award. Check it out on my blog http://inches2style.blogspot.com/2012/11/liebster-award.html
    xo
    Audrey
    http://inches2style.blogspot.com

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Sorry I'm so late - but the eye brooch by Lanvin is calling my name... It's so beautiful!

    RépondreSupprimer

I'll enjoy reading your comments.